Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Roasted Garlic Infused Oil

© 2013 Heidi Chouinard

Garlic. Mmm, it adds so much flavor to a dish, aaand can be pretty lethal with your breath. :P Roasted Garlic doesn't make your breath as stinky as fresher cooked garlic does. 
I have been wanting to make some infused oil for some time, so here we are. 


Preheat the oven to 400

Chop tip off the garlic bulb so that the tips of the garlic cloves are exposed. Also remove any access layers of skin (you want to leave a couple layers to hold the cloves together). 

Season with olive oil, cracked pepper, and coarse salt. 

Wrap up in tinfoil and place on baking sheet. 

© 2013 Heidi Chouinard


Bake in the oven for 30-40 mins 


While that's roasting, producing wonderful aroma's, I picked out my seasoning and herbs for the oil. 

© 2013 Heidi Chouinard

I used some cracked red pepper flakes, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and dehydrated onions. 
Now we need a bottle. My husband had been saving these bottles, perfect for storing infused oils in.

© 2013 Heidi Chouinard

Mmm...wish you could smell what I'm smelling. I think the garlic is ready!

© 2013 Heidi Chouinard

© 2013 Heidi Chouinard

I do recommend putting about a 1/2 cup of olive oil at the bottom of the bottle before adding the garlic and seasonings. Add your garlic, herbs and or seasonings (I didn't add the seasonings first and that is why they are floating all over the place, rather than sitting nicely on the bottom). Fill the bottle with desired amount of oil. 

© 2013 Heidi Chouinard

© 2013 Heidi Chouinard

I roasted 2 heads of garlic. That second one (in the photo above) got turned into a paste and was added to a delicious meatloaf. : ) 










3 comments: